Hey people, today I'm bringing you another My Process This Week post. You might not already know about these posts, but you probably will know that I try to maintain a feeling of honesty and openness on this blog, and that's why I show these process posts regularly. I really believe we need to share more in the art community, and not be as fearful of copycats.
Here's a piece I'm working on this week for my new shop collection (coming Sept!) that's going to be a notebook. I knew I wanted to play with cactuses-on-black a little more since this little print got such a good reception, and I've also been trying to remind myself to not necessarily stick to 'realistic' colours.
With that in mind, I began by painting a dark, inky-black background in Gouache, my preferred medium. I think backgrounds can be a part of the process that people always forget. My tutors at uni are always encouraging people to move away from the safe, white cartridge paper of the sketchbook. I've found that starting with a big rectangle of colour is a fun way to combat this. I so often forget and just start drawing, and then any background painted over it tends to lose the original sketch.
Next, I drew my sketch onto the black paint (once it had dried obviously) - there are more black boxes in the background because I'm actually hoping to offer them as a set as well as a standalone.
Then, I painted on the base colour of the cactus. On black, it takes a few layers to get full coverage, especially as wet paint can scrub up layers of paint from underneath it. It is best to give it chance to properly dry before painting the next layer, or your paintbrush will come away turquoise and black. Because I'm painting in layers, I also painted over my little banner. If you paint around this kind of thing, sometimes you miss edges and get lower layers showing through.
Then, I added the cactus spines in a darker colour with a very slim brush and the little banner on top of them. Next, I'm going to scan it in. I'm not 100% sure about the colour so I might give them a tweak in Photoshop. I hope you like the finished result and the insight into my process. Let me know in the comments!